Poker Paddle 2023 at Quail Creek State Park
Stand up paddle, kayak, or canoe for a cause!
A fundraiser and paddle-party for all skill levels, this is a family-friendly atmosphere at the lake. Paddle to card stations around the lake, then take your 5-card hand to win prizes back at the beach!
There is also an online silent auction.
Is it a race?Kind of; get to the stations first and get your pick of cards!
How will I know where the stations are?
Each station will have a buoy floating nearby. A map will be provided for you to identify your best route (up to you to plot your course), and a "dealer" will be present to help you get your cards.
How can I get extra cards?
There is one bonus card station that will be listed on the map and easy to identify.
All proceeds benefit a local family battling cancer. This year's recipient is Andon Mitchell from St George, Utah.
Andon is a vibrant 19 year old battling his second round of Osteosarcoma Cancer. He is known to love sports, including swimming, basketball, soccer and volleyball. He loves spending time with friends and family.
In May of 2020 Andon was in a car accident, an SUV had run a red light and hit the front corner of his car. After months of physical therapy his leg began to hurt. Dr’s attributed it to sciatic pain and began treating his back. But the pain in his leg persisted. His Aunt was the one who recommended he go get an X-ray, the results worried physicians and a cat scan was ordered and a tumor was found. Andon was sent to Primary Children’s Hospital for a biopsy.
The cancer was confirmed and he began his first round of chemo in July of 2020. In March 2021 almost a year after diagnosis, Andon had surgery on his right leg, removing 11 inches of femur bone, along with the tumor. After six months of treatment he was given the all clear and in remission. During a routine check up this past July, a node was found on his lungs. They waited to see if it would grow, up on his return visit it had doubled in size and they found a second nodule. Andon is now in his second round of chemotherapy. He and his family travel back and forth from St George, Ut to Salt Lake City for treatments. They will do this for the next six months.
We want more than anything for this family to feel the support and love of this amazing community, lift their spirits and provide the much needed financial support. Not only will your donations go to the endless medical bills but traveling expenses.
Feel free to donate directly to the family now at the Go Fund me account https://gofund.me/47509b0a
Stay updated on Andon's journey here: Andon Mitchell updates – Dig Paddlesports
Volunteer Opportunities Available!
Sign up to volunteer online at: VolunteerSignup - Online volunteer signup sheets - Poker Paddle 2023 signup sheet (click the link)
Day before (Friday 4/8/23) - Silent auction will be ONLINE on our Instagram page digpaddlesports2.0 for that day only.
- 9:00am: Volunteers meeting at Dig Shop.
- 10:00am: Event Check-in, Packet Pickup at Dig Shop.
- 11:00am: Dedication of the event and opening remarks
- 11:15am Poker Paddle Paddlers launch from Dig Beach.
- 12:30am: Poker Paddle card hand turn-in for prizes at Dig Beach for all participants.
- 1:30: Food and demos ($10 lunch proceeds go to Andon's family)
- $50 - Full registration for Poker Paddle, includes Kayak or SUP to use for the event.
- $35 - Kids under 14, over 14 & bringing your own gear to paddle, or not paddling but wanting to participate.
- We are also doing a silent auction, to donate items contact Tamra (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michelle (email@example.com)
Date and Time
Dig Paddlesports at Quail Creek State Park
472 N 5300 West
Hurricane, UT 84737
Become a Sponsor:
Event Sponsorship Program – Dig Paddlesports
ALL TICKET ORDERS ARE FINAL AND NON-REFUNDABLE
DIG PADDLESPORTS INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
If an event cannot begin because of weather conditions, Dig Paddlesports will hold the performance and/or event start for up to 30 minutes. At that time conditions will be evaluated, and a decision will be made whether the event can continue or not. Weather conditions often improve, therefore events are not canceled in advance. Some events may continue in the rain.
If an event is canceled due to inclement weather, purchaser may;
- Receive the value of their tickets on an exchange card which works like a gift card and is valid for rental or events in the next 12 months.
- Exchange their tickets directly toward another event
- Reschedule for the same event if it has been postponed to a future date.
- For Poker Paddle only - you may choose to donate your ticket purchase to go directly to the family we are raising funds for.
DIG PADDLESPORTS retains the right to change these policies at any time for any reason.